The Little Prince


I regrettably didn't get many pictures of the actual baptism because by the time I wrestled the Squirt inside, everyone else was already set up with ideal positions, and I feel obnoxious butting my way through the compact i-phones with my loud, bulky Canon.  Plus, the blood relatives came all the way from New Hampshire (!), and I wasn't about to block their view of this sacred moment.


I asked to take some quick pictures later, after the festivities, and in the soft afternoon light under the porch.  This little person has eyes the color of hematite, and when he looks at me I feel like he sees everything.  If he follows in his parents' noble footsteps and becomes a man of the law, I pity the criminals that fall under that scrutinizing gaze.


"I doubt if anyone of any tenderness or imagination can see the hand of a child and not be a little frightened of it. It is awful to think of the essential human energy moving so tiny a thing; it is like imagining that human nature could live in the wing of a butterfly or the leaf of a tree. When we look upon lives so human and yet so small, we feel as if we ourselves were enlarged to an embarrassing bigness of stature. We feel the same kind of obligation to these creatures that a deity might feel if he had created something that he could not understand."--G.K. Chesterton

sig

1 comments:

  1. Lovely! Such beautiful photos. He looks so much older, even from a few weeks ago when I saw him...

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Don't be shy!